I’m really surprised about how people here are responding to the new South Park episode. Some hail it as a beacon of good and understanding while others claim it was horrid and still harmful to the trans community. It’s like an inkblot test and people saw what they wanted to see?
Personally, I’m not sure how I feel about it. I get that the speech Sharon said near the end was the message of the show but I also see how all our big players here are straight people pretending to identify as something else.
Cartman does it to use the bathroom and he remains a bad guy to the end.
Randy did it for the same reason but sort of found himself along the way? His reasons weren’t too great from the start but he seems to really like being Lorde and finally being apart to the music industry.
Wendy did it to …. uh mess with Cartman? Yeah, she seems to be motivated by countering Cartman but that’s….it? I didn’t get a lot from her in this ep tbh. She seemed upset in the Gluten ep and maaaaybe she could have been struggling with her identity behind the scenes but there’s not a lot of evidence and the people saying that Wendy’s a boy now and hoping Stan stays with him seem to be jumping the gun.
Because Wendy didn’t come off strong to me I feel like this is half an episode or half a thought. It’d be nice to have an end piece in the next ep or so that brings some of the ideas of this ep back. I really want to see more of Kenny and Butters in this. I see Kenny as gender fluid and Butters leans strongly towards femininity, they are canonly non cis and would have a bigger impact.
I’m not sure what I’m saying beyond: This feels like half an episode to me.
AND MY FAVORITE PART OF THE EPISODE IS WHEN BUTTERS EXPLAINS TO STAN THAT CARTMAN IS ‘NOT A WOMAN, NOT A MAN, IS SOMETHING THAT YOU WOULDN’T UNDERSTAND’ IN REFERENCE TO A PRINCE SONG ‘I WOULD DIE 4 U’
OMG that flew over my head, ha ha.
i kind of wish kenny had more of a say in this episode, because after tsot her being a girl hasn’t really been brought up again. i also wish they could have touched on cartman’s obvious real gender identity issues
I have a theory that this whole season will be a continuation and if that’s so maybe we can see Princess Kenny weigh in soon?
I’d like to see more solid acknowledgement to Kenny and Butters’ gender/sexual identities. Fingers crossed.
Disney is the richest most famous animation company in the world. They have like six theme parks. They have multiple television networks. They dominate family entertainment. They have all the resources a company could possibly need. Please stop losing your shit to defend them, they don’t need it that badly.
Person: I’m a woman and I don’t need feminism
What she’s actually saying:
- My life is perfectly okay and I don’t really care what other women go through
- I think feminists are just whiny and can’t take jokes that perpetuate harmful stereotypes
- I believe that people are just obsessed with political correctness
- I am blind to the fact that there are still problems faced by women
- I have forgotten that feminism gave women rights such as the right to vote
- I have no idea that feminism is an egalitarian movement that fights for everyone’s rights regardless of sex, gender, sexuality, race, religion, nationality, and ethnicity but mostly focuses on women’s rights.
- I am more concerned about semantics rather than human rights
- I can’t distinguish between real feminists and shitty people who call themselves feminists
- I still believe in the false notion that feminism is about hating men
- I actually don’t understand what feminism is
there is no “tumblr hivemind” tumblr does not “contradict itself” nor is tumblr “welcoming and accepting” tumblr is not a single person it’s a fuckton of people with different opinions. those two contradictory text posts by sj bloggers you saw today were made by *gasp* different people! it’s revolutionary, ain’t it?
ppl who silence western women by saying "youre complaining about being called a bitch/bossy?? women in poor countries are being TORTURED!! what do you have to complain about?!" dont actually care about the women being actually tortured in these poor countries they literally just want you to shut up